Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

7 Rules of a Bargainista

If I'm being totally honest with myself, I would say that I usually buy at least one thing for myself every week (sorry, hubby!). Whether it be a latte (or 5), a new top, or a nice scarf, I always find a way to spoil myself! Thankfully, my husband and I budget for a little "me money" each month, so it doesn't totally shock our bank accounts. Before I buy anything though, I always make sure to follow the 7 rules of a good bargainista:






1.  Set a budget before you leave the house


We've all watched Say Yes to the Dress and saw a bride fall in love with a gown that was way out of her budget. After much pressure from her friends and family, the bride usually caves and splurges on the dress she couldn't afford. What happened? She probably started eyeing things that were too expensive because  she didn't have a specific budget in mind. Don't let this happen in your day to day life! Before you leave the house, decide a concrete number in your head that you're willing to spend. Going over that number is not an option, ladies (it's tough, I know). If you keep this in mind, you won't even allow yourself to fall in love with that $200 sweater that you can't afford.






2. Check out the clearance section

When I went shopping last week, I saw a necklace that I loved. The only problem? It was $50 dollars! There was no way I was willing to spend that much on a necklace, so I decided to put it back and move on to the clearance section. As I was looking at the clearance jewelry, I saw the exact same necklace in a slightly lighter color. Guess how much? TEN BUCKS!  Before you decide to go over budget, always be willing to check in clearance!






3. Don't blow the bank on fads

Remember when overly ripped jeans were in style back in high school? I dropped at least 80 bucks on the hottest pair of Hollister jeans I could get my hands on - and I looked RIDICULOUS. Fast forward a year later, nobody was rocking the ripped jeans. I basically blew close to $100 bucks on an item that A. wasn't even that cute and B. didn't stay in style long enough for me to get my money's worth! Learn from my mistakes - don't drop the big bucks on something that won't be considered stylish next year.




4. Splurge on timeless pieces

I don't spend a lot of money on anything, but even I can admit I do have a few weak spots. Purses, for example, are the one thing I will always splurge on! I tend to gravitate toward more classic, stylish, neutral bags. They go with everything and I carry them for years, so I don't mind spending extra cash on them. If it's an item you know you'll appreciate and wear for years to come, then it's ok to spend a little bit more money.






5. Always check for coupons


So you're standing in a long line at Macy's, waiting {impatiently} to check out with your new goodies. Should you get on your phone and check your Facebook? Nope! Get on Google and try to find some coupons! Pretty much all department stores will have coupons online. Just type in the name of the store and see what you can find. Not seeing any? Ask the person who's checking you out! Usually they will have a handful of coupons next to their register just waiting to be used.  



6. Will you still be thinking about this item tomorrow? No? Then you don't need it.

This is hard for most shoppers. You may think you're in love with that sweater in your hands, but how bad do you really want it? Put it back, go to another store, or even go home for the night. If in a day or so that sweater is still on your mind, then go back and get it. If you're more like me, however, that sweater will be the furthest thing from your mind and you'll be moved onto your next obsession. With this in mind, you are guaranteed to avoid unnecessary spending. 

7. Don't be afraid of used goods


As a devoted Goodwill shopper (no shame!), I promise you thrift stores have a million awesome choices for any fashionista! I can't tell you how many times I've found high end brands like Dolce & Gabbana or even found expensive goods with the tags still on! You have to be willing to dig for the items (there's a lot to go through!), but the end result is always worth it. 




Happy shopping!

XOXO, Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment