Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

Bloom where you're planted

Happy Monday!

I apologize for the week long hiatus; I've been on spring break this week, and to be honest, I haven't felt like doing anything. Literally, my entire week has mostly consisted of napping, taking walks, Zumba, googling random topics, more napping, and of course, eating. What's not to love? 

A few weeks ago, I picked up a new t-shirt from Kohl's (see below). I loved the look of the shirt, but what really stood out to me was the message behind it. In big, floral letters, the shirt proclaimed "bloom where you're planted." Y'all, I can't even begin to describe how applicable that saying is to my current situation. For those who don't know me that well, I graduated with a degree in English/Secondary Education from Appalachian State in North Carolina. I was really looking forward to finally having my own classroom and helping as many students as I could, both with their writing and life skills. As fate would have it, however, I was unable to find a teaching job. Instead, I was given the title of paraprofessional at a local high school. Basically, a para is a one on one for a particular student who has some sort of special need.

I've really wrestled with this title. On the one hand, I love the student I work with and feel so blessed to have this position. But I can't help but think to myself, "I worked my butt off for four long years. Why isn't it paying off?" I consistently worry about what my family and friends think of me in regard to my career, and at times, I can get down on myself about it. "I wasn't good enough for a teaching position" is an unfortunate statement that creeps into my mind more often than it should. What makes it even more difficult is the more time I go without teaching a class, the less capable I feel in that sort of position. It's a pretty vicious cycle and, if you let it, your confidence can dwindle as a result.

What I've learned (and am still learning) is that God doesn't put you in tough situations for no reason. He uses these times of confusion, frustration, and sadness to grow you into the person you're meant to be. 

I don't know if I'll end up being a teacher next year. I don't know if I'll be a para, a writer, or maybe a housewife. Whatever comes my way, though, I know it is in God's plan, and I should do my best not to question it.






Tshirt, Jeans, Sandals-similar


May we all bloom no matter the season,


4 comments:

  1. Love that shirt and LOVE this post! This is so me right now, I'm not really where I thought I would be at this point in life, and although I do love my life and for the most part I feel like I "bloom" pretty well, there are definitely times where I feel like I'm still waiting for God's plan to unfold and wondering how long it's going to take. I feel like I'm in limbo a lot of the time. So good to be reminded of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the sweet comment, Julia!

      XOXO, Bailey

      Delete
  2. Love that shirt---this has been my anthem many atimes!! I am such a planner--so I like to have everything figured out---I am constantly reminding myself about the importance of being present...and trusting in God's plan. You'll look back on this season in a couple of months and know exactly why it worked out this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely a planner, too! Thanks for your encouraging words, Meagan! :)

      Delete