Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Thoughtful Valentine's Day Gifts

Let's get real, people. 

Valentine's Day is known as the most cliché holiday of the year. Most cynics (I prefer to call us "realists") think V-day is a socially constructed holiday to push people to spend money they don't have on gifts they don't actually want - think teddy bears or heart shaped balloons. To be honest, I kind of agree with them. Chocolate covered strawberries, though delicious, do not scream "I love you." A bouquet of roses, though kind, do not say "I put a lot of thought into your gift."  Thankfully, it doesn't have to be this way! Maybe my expectations are a tad too high, but if you're going to celebrate a holiday about love, let's tailor it solely to the one you're celebrating, shall we?

If you really want your significant other to know just how much they mean to you, get creative and try one of these ideas instead: 

Write a Heartfelt Letter: I think love letters are the kindest, most romantic thing you can do for another person. It's easy to throw an "I love you" at the end of a Hallmark card and call it a day, but taking the time to truly express what you love about your significant other has incredible value. Let me assure you, putting your heart and soul into a love letter will not soon be forgotten.



Make a Soundtrack: Think back to all the wonderful times you've had together. What songs remind you of those times? Maybe there was a tune playing in the background when you first met, or perhaps you two had a favorite song that completely defined a portion of your relationship. Whatever the case may be, take a stroll down memory lane and put these songs into a playlist for your significant other. Earn bonus points if you write down why each song represents the relationship!

Cook their favorite dessert from scratch: Cooking anything from scratch is a tough mission - everyone knows that. However, there is something incredibly admirable about taking on a difficult, time consuming task to show how much you love a person. Kyle could attempt to make me a homemade butterscotch pie and fail completely, and I would still think it was the sweetest thing ever because he did it knowing it would make me happy. Sure, it would be easy to go out and buy the pie at Publix, but that act isn't nearly as sincere. If you really want to "woo" your loved one, you gotta put in some effort.

Take care of all the chores that week: As a newlywed, I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am when Kyle takes care of the dishes or vacuums without being prompted to do so. It's very thoughtful to take that burden off your loved one, even if it's only for a few days. It takes a little effort on your end, but it will really reflect how much you care for them! Light their favorite candle for added effect.



A "I listened" gift: This is one of the few "buyable" gifts that I actually support. Spend some time listening to your significant other; I mean really listening. Did they mention a book they had been eyeing? What about a shirt he/she pointed out while you were out shopping last weekend? In my opinion, there is nothing more thoughtful than showing your girl/guy that you listen to everything they tell you - even stuff that may initially strike you as insignificant. Opening a gift that you were sure your husband wouldn't remember is the best feeling.

Coupon Book: If you're looking for something not quite as serious but still thoughtful, try making your own coupon book. The coupons can range from anything such as "You can pick where we eat," "I'll give the dog a bath," or "One free massage." I made one of these for Kyle last year, and he had the best time looking at all the coupons I made especially for him. It's an easy craft project that your significant other will enjoy for the next year (yes, only a year, because I put an expiration date on my coupon book - HA!).


Love you forever. and ever. and ever. and ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment