Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

How to find the best deals on cruises

I have a confession to make - I am an addict. I've tried for years to coerce myself to let go of my biggest temptation, but the hold is still there; yes, I am addicted to cruising.

 


 
 

I went on my first cruise when I was six years old, and they have become my main source of vacation fun ever since. Oh, and did I mention I met my husband on a cruise? Yep, it's safe to say I owe a lot to Carnival. What a lot of people ask me, however, is how I afford to go on at least two cruises every year without totally breaking the piggy bank. What most people don't realize is that cruises are one of the most afforable ways to vacation and see the world with your loved ones. You basically pay a flat price, and with that amount, get unlimited food and entertainment; oh, and did I mention you get to travel to some of the most beautiful places in the world?! Despite it being a great deal, there are always ways to make sure you save even more money. Check out the top five ways to get the best bang for your buck on your cruising adventure:

 

The view from our balcony!



1. Book Off Season

If you are looking for an affordable vacation, DO NOT book a cruise that leaves during peak months. Follow this as a general rule - if the kids are out of school, don't book a cruise. This includes summer months as well as holidays such as Easter or Christmas. You will, without a shadow of a doubt, pay a premium. Rather, book in the off season months such as September and February. The kids will be in school and sales won't be as high, so the prices will be way lower for the bargain buyers like my husband and I.


Enjoying the scenery in Cozumel, Mexico.

2. Wait until the last minute

Wait, am I really telling you to procrastinate planning your vaca? Absolutely. As a cruise date gets closer, cruise prices will begin to drop. For example, my family and I are going on a cruise over Thanksgiving. My inlaws (who graciously offered to pay for our expenses), paid a premium price of around 800 dollars for an interior room (no window) for my husband and I. Two weeks before the cruise, we checked online and saw the exact same room was going for a grand total of $300 bucks - for BOTH of us! Now, I'm not saying you should leave it until two weeks before the cruise to book, but I would try booking about a month and a half or two months before the cruise leaves. Prices have usually dropped by that point, and you can book knowing you got a great deal.


3. Don't be afraid to haggle

When my inlaws found out they had lost out on getting our room for a lot cheaper, they were not happy. My husband and I recommended that they call Carnival and ask for upgrades because of how much they initially paid for our rooms. Surprisingly, Carnival can be very accomodating when asking for upgrades, especially if you paid a premium. After they were finished talking to the cruise line, Kyle and I had been upgraded to an outdoor room, my inlaws were moved up to a room with a balcony, and the entire family was moved up to a nicer floor where we wouldn't feel the ship rocking. Not a bad result from just talking on the phone, right? And don't get discouraged if the first person tells you no; just hang up, call back, and talk to another attendant. Eventually, someone will give you something.


Unbelievable views!

4. Bring your own drinks

Any cruising veteran will tell you this - Cruise lines do not make money from you booking a room on the ship; they make money on what you buy while on the ship. You know those cute frozen drinks you imagine drinking on your vacation? Yeah, they cost about 9 bucks each on a Carnival ship. They also have a special drink each day that comes in an adorable container - those cost about fifteen bucks! There's no shame in ordering a tropical drink or two while cruising, but buyers beware - the prices will add up. Thankfully, Carnival allows each person to bring a 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne in their carry on for free. Also, each person is allowed to bring a 12 pack of sodas. If at all possible, I would absolutely recommend bringing your own drinks to help save some money.

Fair warning, though - they charge a "corkage" fee if you want to drink your champagne at dinner.


The atrium - something is ALWAYS happening here! 


5. Look at the older cruise ships

Carnival has a lot of realllly nice, brand new ships. Nine times out of ten, though, they will cost more than the older fleets. If you're looking to save some money, look at some of the older ships, such as the Carnival Fascination. While they're a little older, they're still just as enjoyable as any of the new cruises. Plus, in my experience with the newer ships, I honestly find them a bit overwhelming. There is almost too much to do - you don't have time for everything, and that can get frustrating. Don't feel like you're missing out if you book on an older ship!


Holy slide!

 
Happy Cruising!





1 comment:

  1. I've never been on one before but looks so fun!!

    Jenn
    Blondetruth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete